Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Reading a French playwright makes me a Calvinist?

On the Metro today I was reading a book of plays by Molière. A man in his 60s sat down next to me and asked me what I was reading. I showed him the cover and then when chatted about plays for a bit. Then he asked me if I was coming from the hockey game. I said, "No, I'm coming from church."

He did a double take, looked at the book by Molière in my hands again and asked, "Calvinist?"

"Yes," I said. "But I don't think that has anything to do with me reading Molière."

He then proceeded to tell me about his friend who was from France whose faith was in the tradition of the French Huguenots.

He talked about how he was a atheistic Catholic, and was surprised both that I went to a Southern Baptist Church in DC and that I didn't believe in infant baptism.

No comments:

Post a Comment